ANNOUNCING AN OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME
A PART OF THE MWR TEAM
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
COMMANDER, NAVY INSTALLATIONS
CNRSE NAVAL CONSTRUCTION BATTALION CENTER GULFPORT N921
POSITION: SUPERVISORY RECREATION SPECIALIST - LIBERTY
SALARY: $19.00 - $21.50 PH
ANNOUNCEMENT #: GP-23-12131920
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: FULL-TIME
OPENING DATE: 18 SEP 2023
CLOSING DATE: 2 OCT 2023
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
HOW TO APPLY: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/749804900
LOCATION: LIBERTY CENTER - Morale, Welfare and Recreation Department, Community Activities Division, Naval Construction Battalion Center, Gulfport, Mississippi
Manages and administers a comprehensive and diverse year round Single Sailor Program (Liberty Center Program) which includes the day-to-day operations, development, organization, facilitation, marketing, and evaluation of recurring and nonrecurring programs within the Single Sailor Program (Liberty Center Program).
- Performs supervisory duties which include assigning work, defining priorities, selecting and recommending applicants for hire, evaluating performance, recommending pay adjustments/awards, providing or recommending training, approving and/or disapproving leave requests, initiating corrective actions, and recommending formal corrective/disciplinary actions as warranted.
- Supervises federal civil service employees at the NF-01/GS-l/2/3, NF-02/GS-4, NF03/GS-5/6/7/8, NA-05 or NA-8, whether full-time, part-time, intermittent, or temporary; assigned military employees; non-Federal workers; unpaid volunteers; student trainees, or others.
- Authorizes personnel action requests (SF-52) and ensures timekeeping documents are submitted in accordance with local direction.
- Ensures interviews and selection of new hires is performed in accordance with established hiring practices.
- Leads and instructs subordinate staffing administering traditional and non-traditional workshops, clinics and events in a variety of outdoor skills areas including but not limited to camping, cycling, sailing, backpacking, canoeing, snow skiing, hiking or water sports.
- Provides outdoor field experiences related to above skill training in the form of day and weekend trips.
- Leads day-to-day operation of multiple programs to which assigned; assists with staffing, training and scheduling.
- Uses creativity to plan, promote and implement well-rounded Community Recreation programs utilizing numerous facilities within the entire MWR Department in accordance with CMC approved program standards.
- Coordinates leisure skills development activities and classes.
- Develops working partnerships with both on base and off base organizations (park districts, forest preserve, clubs, special interest groups, etc.) to support and benefit MWR programs.
- Provides administrative duties and support through after-action reports, data collection and database administration. All administrative duties are completed through a variety of sources including computer software which tracks patron's usage and responses (includes providing information for metrics and patron counts).
- Promotes customer service awareness and information, requisitioning merchandise, ensuring adequate stock levels, entertainment and promotion schedules.
- Organizes community special events such as comedy shows, holiday events, celebrity appearances, concerts, 4th of July Festival, and Winterfest, which are just a few of the many programs offered throughout the year.
- Serves as a liaison for MWR related activities associated with Training Support Center (TSC), Fleet & Family Readiness Departments (N9) and other tenant commands on base, on an as needed basis.
- Provides support for unit allocation events to include equipment, programming ideas, and coordination assistance.
- Responsible for the development, management, maintenance, planning, business plan execution, and administration of a diverse Community Recreation program.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must meet Federal Employment suitability requirements and successful completion of background investigation. Background investigations are conducted using fingerprint identification and completion of background inquiry forms.
- Must successfully pass the E-verify employment verification check. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of employment.
- A valid State driver's license is required to operate motor vehicles.
- Must have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Hours of work will vary as required by the needs of the program to include split days off, evenings, weekends and holidays. May be required to work early; late, and on weekends and holidays. Subject to recall .
- Must have open availability during operational hours of the Liberty Center. *Monday- Thursday 8am- 830pm, Fri and Sat 8am- 9pm, Sun 8am-730pm
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience. All non-government positions identified on your resume must include complete address and to and from dates. Government positions must include pay plan, series, grade, to and from dates and address of the agency/organization.
One year of specialized experience directly related to the duties described above. Qualifying experience must have been equivalent to the next lower level in the normal line of progression.
Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge gained through relevant education and training (i.e., Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Marketing, Business or closely related field) and/or equivalent recreation related work experience.
- Combination of experience related to customer service and or activity based functions.
- Ability to work independently, make sound decisions and have the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of recreational programs.
- Knowledge of the goals, principles, techniques and methods of procedure used in organizing, planning and conducting all types of activities.
- Knowledge of the entire scope of activities and their suitability in the Community Recreation Program for individuals and groups of varying demographics, ages and interests.
- Ability to create, negotiate, implement and sustain partnerships via various MWR agreements.
- Ability to maintain a clear and accurate database.
- Ability to represent the department and speak in front of both small and large groups.
- Knowledge of recreational and entertainment events.
- Program planning and leadership skills to devise and implement a leisure and social recreation program that will stimulate and sustain the interest of participants and challenge participants that they may benefit from the social values to be derived from recreational activities.
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
As part of the application process, you must complete and submit an occupational questionnaire and your RESUME MUST SUPPORT AND VALIDATE YOUR ANSWERS or you may be removed from consideration.
ONLY THE MOST HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE REFERRED. IF MANAGEMENT DOES NOT WISH TO SELECT A HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE, THEY MAY REQUEST A REFERRAL LIST INCLUDING WELL OR QUALIFIED APPLICANTS.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and/or appointment eligibility. PLEASE READ THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY TO ENSURE ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE ADDRESSED IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE.
- NO Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest
KEY REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- You must be a US Citizen.
- Males must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. https://www.sss.gov/register/
- Selectee must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Selectee is required to participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- Social Security Card is required.
- Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-VERIFY) check.
- A favorable background is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain a favorable background may result in the withdrawal of the position offer or removal.
NOTE: Applicants have the ability to perform an E-Verify Self Check to confirm employment eligibility at https://www.uscis.gov/mye-verify/self-check. Although a Self-Check is not mandatory, it can be a useful tool for applicants to find out if there is a problem with their employment eligibility records and resolve any issues before taking a jo
This position does not have a positive education requirement.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. Benefits you get to enjoy while working for our TEAM include but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, life insurance, spouse & dependent life insurance, long-term disability, retirement, and 401(k) savings plan, annual and sick leave, tuition reimbursement, etc.).
- Stability of Federal Civilian Service
- People with passion for doing work that matters
- Quality of Work Life Balance
Some positions have special requirements- Position is a non-critical, sensitive, position requiring access to IT II system and/or access to PII. An access National Agency Check investigation (ANACI) is required via the SF 86 security form.- Required to submit a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450. Executive Branch Personnel Confidential Financial Disclosure Report upon entering the position and annually, in accordance with DoD Directive 5500-7R, Joint Ethics Regulation, dated 23 March 2006.- Salary is dependent on experience and/or education.- For positions requiring travel more than twice per year, selectee may be required to obtain and maintain in good standing a Government-issued Travel Card for official government travel purposes.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of closing date.
The Department of the Navy (DON) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants are assured of equal consideration regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, reprisal, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor. This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they may require reasonable accommodations should email their request to MILL_CNIC_NAF_EEO@navy.mil to ensure proper consideration is given. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
This activity is a Drug-Free workplace. The use of illegal drugs by NAF employees, whether on or off duty, cannot and will not be tolerated. Federal employees have a right to a safe and secure workplace, and Sailors, their family members, and all other customers have a right to a reliable and productive Federal workforce.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your experience is subject to evaluation and verification against the information in your resume. The numeric rating you receive is a self-assessment only and is based on your responses to the questionnaire. Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and capability. If a determination is made that you rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, or if your resume lacks sufficient information, you will be rated accordingly or may be considered ineligible.
All resumes will be reviewed to determine if they meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement, and will be rated based on the information provided in the resume to determine the level of knowledge, skill, and ability, related to the job requirements. Using the qualifications of the position, a predetermined rating criterion of knowledge, skills, and abilities will be used for each resume. Best qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews.
-Include name and contact information for at least three (3) professional references in your resume
-Proof of education (transcripts/copy of degree/high school diploma), if applicable to position requirements.
-Proof of certification, if applicable to position requirements.
-If you are a current federal employee, submit your most recent Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50.
-If you are a current federal employee, submit your last three evaluations.
APPLICANTS CLAIMING HIRING PREFERENCE: Please ensure your status is indicated in your USAJOBS account and ALL required documents to claim preference are submitted at the time of resume submission.
WHAT ARE PREFERENCES? Preferences are advantages in the candidate selection process. Individuals can claim the following preferences:
1. Reemployment Priority List (RPL): Qualifying separated employees shall have priority placement in the NAF activity from which they were separated as a result of a Business Based Action (BBA), when the position has substantially the same duties as the position from which they were separated and it is not a higher grade or employment category, provided the position is not being filled by an internal candidate.
To claim this preference, you MUST:
-Submit a copy of your BBA Separation Notification indicating eligibility for RPL.
2. Military Spouse Preference (MSP): Qualifying spouses eligible for MSP are spouses of an active duty military member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the National Guard or Reserves on active duty. The marriage must have occurred before the military member received official permanent change of station (PCS) orders to the installation listed above. MSP is applicable only when applying for NAF positions at the NF-03 and below and equivalent craft and trade (CT) positions.
To claim this preference, you MUST:
-Submit sponsor's PCS orders to installation you are applying for; AND
-If you are not indicated as a spouse on the PCS orders, you MUST submit proof of marriage prior to PCS.
3. Veteran's Preference/Gold Star Veteran's Preference: Qualifying military veterans, and spouses/parents of deceased veterans shall be given employment preference over non-preference applicants if they are equally qualified. Preference applicable for positions open to external candidates.
To claim Veteran's preference, you MUST:
-Submit a copy of your DD-214 (member 4 copy); AND
-Submit completed SF15 from the Veterans Administration (VA); AND
-Submit any other supporting documentation (disability, official statements, proof of service, etc)
To claim Gold Star Veteran's preference, you MUST:
-Submit completed SF-15 from the Veterans Administration (VA); AND
-Submit a legible copy of DD-1300; AND
-Submit any other supporting documentation (official statements, document of service, court decree, etc).
***Qualifying applicants with preferences are considered in the order listed above. Then all other qualifying applicants are considered.